Saturday, August 28, 2010

Poetry from my past 1

So I recently moved home and in my trunk at my mom's house was a tattered old composition notebook of my old poems. I mentioned in my last post that I hadn't written for years, so in order to get me into the swing of things and actually writing on this thing in a semi-regular manner, I've decided to share some of my poems with the world...or the 1-2 of you in the world that will be reading this. These are not chronological, and are not what I fee today, or even really totally autobiographical...believe it or not, as an angsty teenager I didn't always write about things that actually happened to me....

SO here goes...

This one was actually published in an anthology back in 1993....

The Pain (4-1-92)

In your eyes I see the pain
of a thousand souls in anguish
Yet you are just one soul
screaming in agony
In your smile I see the pain
of convincing yourself all is well
When the demons of the night
come knock on your door
In your laughter I see the pain
of feeling the irony
Of the hysteria you share
with the whole of the world
In your solemn glance I see the pain
of wondering if all will be well
And believing it will not
for it never has
And in your quiet states I see the pain
of feeling you are alone
in a world full of strangers
But I am by your side



The second poem of today is one I wrote about my great- grandmother


The Visit (4-15-94)

A silent caress
her eyes seem to cast
upon my soul

Wisp of a woman
skin dry and thin as paper
sitting across from me

We do not speak
she does not know who I am
babe that she cradled in those arms
so long ago

And the daisies I brought her
fall to her feet
as she drifts into sleep

I'll see you next weekend, Grandma.

No comments:

Post a Comment